Magna International - history

 

1957

Frank Stronach founded company Multimatic – one-man based operation (sole entrepreneurship) – shop manufacturing hand tools.


1959

First order of auto parts: General Motors ordering sun-visor clips.  Number of employees grows to 20.

 


1968

Merge of Multimac with Magna Electronics, dealing with precision mechanics in aircraft and defense industries.


1973

Name of the company changed to Magna International Inc. plus expansion into production of plastic parts.


1984

First factory opened in Europe – Germany.


1988

Factory producing mirrors opened in Austria.


1989

Breakthrough for Magna in Europe: Big order from VW for stamped parts – leading to opening factories not only in Europe, but also in Canada and Mexico.


1993

First Mexican branch of Magna opened in Puebla – stamping shop for VW factory close by.


1994

Decision taken, under leadership of F. Stronach, to establish Europe as Magna’s second most important place of work.


1995

Siegfried Wolf becomes president of Magna Europe.


1996

Established factory in Ceske Velenice.


1998

Magna’s takeover of Steyer-Daimler-Puch, a prestigious car designer and manufacturer.


2002

After takeover of Donnelly Corporation and amalgamation with Magna Mirror Systems, Magna Donnelly is established.  Producing mirrors used in automotive industry, this company is today worldwide leader in this field.


2005

 

Span of production expanded, due acquisition of Burg Desing, for above standard elements in dashboards and body interiors.


2006

Professional expansion in growing segment of sliding roofs systems by acquisition of Car Top Systems (CTS).


2008